Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chemo: The Day After Round 2

I had my second date with chemo yesterday. Our relationship must be improving because she seems to be enjoying her time with me. Here to hoping that she is nice to over the weekend.

As My friend Jessica Sullivan and her husband came to my treatment to keep me company. It was great to have company because it helps the time go by faster and is not as boring. So a special shout-out and thanks to them!

Also, I have been getting A LOT of question about the exact chemo I am currently receiving. So here is a detailed list about both of them.

So here it is:

Drug #1: Vinorelbine

Trade Name: Navelbine

Category: Chemotherapy Drug

Classifications: Vinorelbine belongs to a general group of drugs known as plant (vinca) alkaloids

Actions: Vinorelbine disrupts cell division, resulting in cell death. This drug cannot distinguish between cancer and normal cells, so some normal cells are affected, causing side effects.

How Drug is Given: Vinorelbine is given intravenously over 5-10 minutes

Precautions: Tell nurse immediately if you have any stinging or burning in the vein during or after the drug is administered.

More Common Side Effects:
Decreased white blood cell count with increased risk of infection
Numbness and tingling in hands and/or feet
Darkening of vein used to give the drug
Constipation

Less Common Side Effects:
Nausea
Vomiting
Sores in mouth or on lips
Hair Loss
Decreased platelet count with increased risk of bleeding

Drug #2: Gemcitabine

Trade Name: Gemzar

Category: Chemotherapy Drug

Classification: Gemcitabine belongs to a general group of drugs known as antimetabolites

Action: Gemcitabine disrupts growth of cancer cells. The drug cannot distinguish between cancer and normal cells, so some normal cells are affected, causing side effects.

How drug is given: Gemcitabine is given intravenously over an hour

More Common Side Effects:
Decreased white blood cell count with increased risk of infection
Decreased platelet count causing increased risk of bleeding
Decreased red blood cells with anemia
Fatigue

Less Common Side Effects:
Diarrhea
Sores in mouth and lips
Skin Rash
Hair thinning
Nausea
Vomiting

If you have anymore questions about any aspect of the treatment feel free to email me. I am very open and love to help others better understand the world of cancer. It can be a scary world, but there is hope!

Needle pokes: 3

Pills: 13

Happy Saturday! More post to coming in the next few days so if you want your questions answered now is the time to do it. You can either facebook them to me or submit them through email. There is a page on my blog entitled "Submit questions." Even if I don't know you and you have been blog stalking me your questions are still welcome!

No comments: