Friday, October 10, 2008

Chemo Round 1, Day 4

So, first off before I talk about my day I would like to apologize for how horrible my grammar is. I will look at my posts the day after I post it and I am left surprised that all who are reading it understand what I am saying. I wish I could blame it all on the fact that I write them after a round of chemo so I am still under a strong influence on drugs, but I must admit that I could still work on my grammar. I am just glad that this blog thing has spell check or I would be dun for sure.

Also I would like to explain why my last post spent most of its time talking about pee. I think I should explain why they need to test my urine before each round of chemo. They check my urine because one of the chemo drugs (Cytoxan) is very harsh on the bladder so they want to make sure that there is no bleeding in the bladder. To help keep my bladder clean I drink a TON of water and gatorade to keep the side effects of the chemo on my bladder as low as possible. They also hydrate me with potassium water through the IV for an hour before each session of chemo. So I think that's all thats left to talk about on the pee issue. Though if you can think of any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

So today I wanted to talk about the lifestyle transition going from a healthy BYU student who is very active and enjoying life to becoming a cancer patient for the second time. The easiest way to describe the transition is like when you break your bone and get a cast. Now no one likes to have that cast because you can't go swimming, take a shower, and it limits your activities. But you know that if you listen to the doctors and tough it out and don't cut your cast off early that at the end of the treatment you will be back to normal.

So I look at my fight with cancer the same way. Do I like doing chemo, going to the hospital many days a week, taking tons of pills. NO. I would rather be in Provo cheering on the #8 BYU football team and watching the game with friends and fellow school mates. But going through all the treatment is just part of what needs to be done so that I can return to my scholastic career for the Fall Semester of 2009.

My life right now just has what you would call a new normal. Now normal for me is when arriving at the hospital for my chemo treatment and the nurse says that my chemo is all ready. I shout Hooray because that means that there will be no delays in my treatment today. Shouting Hooray weird? no it is just my new normal. I now just take life easy, I don't always have a whole bunch of strength so some days my only activity is going to Wal-Mart with my father just to get out of the house.

My life just has a new normal. Getting poked by needles happens is just as common as brushing my teeth now. It just a new normal. All that cancer terminology, the BIG words, medicines, doctors, nurses. It is just a new normal.

Last of all with this new transition to a new normal is the hospital staff. You see them all everyday and they become part of your family you have the nurses that you love and that always stop to chat with you to see how you are doing and you have your doctor that knows you by name and in between talking about chemo dosages you talk to her about the newest Office episode and about how her son is going to be Dwight for Halloween this year. You become just one big happy family.

It is a new normal and my new hospital family tries to make it go as smooth and clear as possible.

Life hasn't gotten worse it has just changed. It is my new normal.

I would just like to thank Eliza for the link for the comic. I enjoyed and had a good laugh. Thanks you can never have to much laughter.

I would also like to shout out a special thanks to the BYU 177th ward for the little package of mail they sent me. I enjoyed reading your words. Thanks for you prayers, thoughts, and love.

Again thank you to everyone for you prayers and thoughts.

If anyone has anything they would like to know about my whole cancer treatment. I will answer any questions I am a very open individual and won't mind talking about any aspect of the treatment.

pill total: 10


Gin said...

I do have a question, how does chemo work? I don't quite get it. I always thought that it was some sort of machine thing and that's how the radiation worked.
Hope that's not too weird a question...

Sarah said...

Wow, Dave!! You are such an inspiration to me. The truth is, we all have to deal with unwelcome changes in life, but some of us handle it better than others! I hope the next time one comes my way, that I can handle it with your attitude of "new normal," because it's the truth! And we're glad you got the package of letters. :-)

emily snyder said...

david, thanks. thanks for who you are and what you are doing with this blog. in case you forget for i second, hundreds and thousands of us love you.